14 June 2014

Roasted Cashew and Green Pea Soup with Mint Chimichurri


Recently I realized that I don't make many simple pureed vegetable soups. I love the idea of having them around for a light meal, and I have a whole list of pureed parsnip, beet, carrot, and tomato soup recipes in my favorites folder. But I find myself opting out of making them more often than not because they almost seem too light, if that's possible. If, for the same amount of effort, I can make something more substantial or that will stretch over to the next day's lunch or dinner, I'll almost always choose that instead because I am a strong believer of the cook once, eat twice rule.


So this recipe is my attempt to turn a simple vegetable soup into a substantial meal. By using peas (a legume that acts like a vegetable) and cashews, this soup is hearty enough with good fats and protein while still being light, which was what I was going for here. And the mint chimichurri is essential for the soup, so don't even think about skipping it. It elevates and brightens. The suggested servings listed in the recipe depend on whether the soup is served with anything else. I love making quick flatbreads, so that was my choice, but this recipe will serve fewer if eating it alone.


And yes, if you were wondering we are back from our holiday, and I am excited to share some pictures, thoughts, and inspired recipes from our time away in the coming posts. Stay tuned, and in the meantime I hope you enjoy this soup!



Roasted Cashew and Green Pea Soup with Mint Chimichurri
Serves 3-4

Knob ghee (or butter/coconut oil)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 red chili, chopped
2 tsp. cumin
4 cups (600 gr) frozen peas
3 cups (750 ml) water
1 bay leaf
2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup (85 gr) cashews, roasted
Juice from 1/2 lemon
Mint chimichurri, to finish (recipe below)

Heat soup pot over medium heat. Add ghee, garlic, chili, and cumin, stir, and cook until fragrant (~1 minute). Add peas, water, bay leaf, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes. Add roasted cashews, simmer for 5 minutes, covered, then remove from heat and puree with a hand (immersion) blender until smooth*. Add lemon juice, taste, and adjust for seasoning. Ladle into bowls and top with mint chimichurri.

* Soup can also be blended in a standing blender

Mint Chimichurri

1 bunch mint, stems removed (~ 1/2 cup, tightly packed)
6 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2-3 tsp. red wine vinegar
1 small clove garlic
Few pinches crushed red pepper flakes
2 Tbsp. water
1/4 tsp. salt
Drizzle honey


Place all ingredients in a small food processor. Blend until smooth, taste, and adjust for seasoning.

14 comments:

  1. Wow that looks delicious! Love the flavor combinations in here, mint chimichurri sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soup sounds so flavorful! I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Is there a recipe you recommend for the quick flatbreads you mention?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Ottolenghi's yogurt flatbread. It works every time. First link is his original recipe, second link is slightly adapted and written in US measurements.
      http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/feb/21/yogurt-flatbreads-mushroom-ragout
      http://www.loveandlemons.com/2012/03/12/yogurt-flatbread-sweet-potato-hummus/

      I also like making a basic chapati. For a dairy-free version I'll often sub more olive oil or applesauce for the yogurt called for here.
      http://kelliesfoodtoglow.com/2014/02/21/butternut-squash-lentil-and-lemongrass-curry-cumin-seed-chapati/#more-5682

      Delete
    2. Great! Thank you! I'll be making some of these to go with the soup.

      Delete
  3. I've never had that before. I must be really good. Thanks for sharing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This soup soups delicious - I love the idea of using roasted nuts in a soup! I'm intrigued to see what it would taste like. I agree with you - I often think soups make a really light meal, I always have to have something with them to fill me up enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dearna!! The soup has a deeper, toasted and slightly sweet flavor so the lemon squeezed in at the end along with the chimichurri help brighten it a bit. And yes, I also have to have either rice, quinoa, or flatbread with soups like this to make it filling enough.

      Delete
  5. Cashew sweet, juicy pea and herby spice on top...have to say, I really like it lots! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deena, I'm glad you like it! Yes, there's enough contrasting flavors in here to keep the soup interesting. :)

      Delete
  6. Wow this looks so delicious and flavorful! I love chimichurri and have a big pot of mint growing in my yard - this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am jealous of your pot of mint growing. Chimichurri is a favorite sauce in our house too. Enjoy Grace!

      Delete
  7. Yum, this sounds amazing! In the summer, when it is so hot outside, all I want to do is eat light food like vegetables soups! I bet it would taste great chilled too! The flavors sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chilled....hmm, now you're talking! Thanks Isadora!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Cooksnaps