10 May 2014

Beet Nachos


Beet season is wrapping up here in Switzerland, but I could not in good conscience make these nachos without sharing the recipe with you. The beets, when roasted until crisp, are nutty and sweet and provide the perfect contrast to the tang and spice of the black bean salsa. If you are a local reader and cannot find beets (because I probably bought the very last one - don't ask how I know that!), then sweet potato chips would be the perfect substitute. In fact, I wish I had thought of this while I was at the store.





My husband declared this black bean salsa the best of three worlds. When we can't decide on guacamole, salsa, or black bean salad, we'll combine the three and have everything in one. This is the result and it's super tasty. And leftovers (if you have any) make the perfect lunch the next day; wrap up in a tortilla or flatbread, spoon over brown rice or quinoa, or eat as a black bean salad with spinach or kale.


Beet Nachos
Serves 4-6 as small bites/appetizer (2 as main)

Notes: If you cannot find beets, use sweet potato chips instead. 

1 large beet (or several small ones)
Coconut oil (or ghee/butter)
Sea salt
Black Bean and Avocado Salsa

Heat oven to 325 F (162 C).

Wash and, if organic, scrub beet with a vegetable scrubber. Otherwise peel skin if not organic. Thinly slice beet using the thin blade of a mandolin. Alternatively, slice as thinly as possible with a sharp knife, keeping in mind the slices will inevitably be thicker/uneven and need to cook longer.

Place beet rounds on a large parchment or silpat-lined baking sheet (you may need to cook in two batches), brush with melted coconut oil, and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes, until beets turn light brown, ends curl up, and begin to dry out. Remove from oven and immediately transfer beets to a wired cooling rack. They will crisp up as they cool.

Just before serving, top beets with salsa, and enjoy!

Black Bean and Avocado Salsa

Juice of 1 lime
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. honey
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups cooked black beans (or 15 oz can, rinsed and drained)
1 small red onion, finely diced (or spring onions for a milder flavor)
1 red chili, thinly sliced (or jalapeno)
1 ripe but firm avocado, diced
Handful cilantro, chopped
Feta, crumbled (to taste)

Add lime juice and next  four ingredients (through salt) to a medium mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Add remaining ingredients and toss gently to combine.

*Beet chips inspired by Dishing Up The Dirt





18 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 10, 2014

    Amazing, I would never have thought of paring beets with salsa. What a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This really is a great combination, thank you!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea!!! Never would think to create beet nachos. May have to try this out for an upcoming birthday party I'm hosting. Fabulous recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Allison! This would be great for a party because it's easy hand food. Let me know if you try it out, and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I love this idea! Sweet, crisp, filling and fun. They're pretty too! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a fun way to eat, isn't it?! Thanks Deena!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, these sound so good! I like that you have used beet chips instead of corn tortilla chips for the nachos, such a great idea and I imagine it would taste great with that delicious looking salsa! It's not quite beet season here, but I'll be keeping an eye out for some in the future to make this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beet chips are sooo good. Hope beet season shows up there soon, Dearna! Sweet potato chips are next on my list - they also make a great nacho base.

      Delete
  5. What an awesome idea!! I just discovered how easy it is to make your own beet chips and I have been making them like crazy lately! I also happen to be kinda obsessed with nachos, so I really can't think of anything more perfect than beet chip nachos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was blown away by the ease of making beet chips too! And glad we're on the same wave length with the whole nacho thing. ;-) Thanks for your comment, Isadora!

      Delete
  6. OMG! Looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I will definitely be making these when the weather cools a little around here. Super yummy sounding. I am pinning to my pintrest board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these are good for cooler weather since the oven is on for a while. Thanks for stopping by Teri!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. It's pretty tasty. :) Thanks for stopping by Lynsey!

      Delete
  9. This looks like it tastes amazing! I am going to try it as soon as I am finished with my 3 day detox. Which is tomorrow. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! It does taste amazing, and I hope you think so too when you try it. Happy detoxing!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Cooksnaps