03 April 2014

Cinnamon-Hazelnut Quinoa Porridge


This is my favorite breakfast as of late. I can't quite put my finger on it but there is something about the warm cinnamon-spiced porridge topped with creamy hazelnut butter, crunchy toasted nuts, and sweet juicy fruit that feels really comforting and indulgent. Quinoa porridge is the perfect winter-to-spring transition breakfast, or any cool morning breakfast for that matter, because it is lighter than oatmeal yet has as much if not more staying power. And while I do love the hazelnut milk/butter here, this will of course work just as well with any nut milk and butter that you prefer.



Cinnamon-Hazelnut Quinoa Porridge
Serves 1

Notes: This is a generous serving. Scale down to 2/3 cup quinoa if you usually eat a small breakfast. As for the quinoa prep, if you have leftover quinoa this is a great use for it. Otherwise I'll usually cook 1 cup of quinoa on Sunday night  (yields ~ 4 cups cooked) so I'll have it at the ready all week.

1 cup cooked quinoa
3/4 cup hazelnut milk (I love this recipe)
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
Pinch salt
2 inch piece vanilla pod or splash pure vanilla extract/paste (optional)
Drizzle honey (or maple syrup/brown rice syrup/coconut sugar)
Spoonful hazelnut butter (I love this recipe)
Roasted hazelnuts, chopped
Seasonal fruit (I used persimmons and passion fruit but mango, papaya, berries, or any stone fruit would also be nice, when available)

Add quinoa, hazelnut milk, cinnamon, and salt to a small saucepan. If using vanilla pod, scrape seeds out and add seeds and pod to the sauce pan. If using vanilla extract, add after cooking.

Gently simmer quinoa, covered, for 5 minutes until warmed through and quinoa has absorbed some of the milk. Add honey to taste, if needed, and pour into a bowl (remove vanilla pod, if used, rinse and save for another use). Top porridge with a spoonful of hazelnut butter, chopped hazelnuts, and seasonal fruit of your choice. 























Sending this porridge over to Javelin Warrior's Cookin' With Luv for Mark's Made With Love Monday series.
Made with Love Mondays,
hosted by Javelin Warrior

16 comments:

  1. This is utterly up my street. I love that you have used quinoa, it doesnt turn to wallpaper paste. I am excited by the hazelnut paste and the fruit looks fabulous! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deena! Yes, exactly...oatmeal is great of course if cooked properly, but I love the lighter texture of the quinoa too. The hazlenut butter is to die for....let me know if you do get to try it all out. :-)

      Delete
  2. You are good about including all recipes to complete a dish such as those for the Hazelnut milk and butter. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't assume everyone wants to make their own nut milk and butter, and I figure many already have some variety store-bought on hand. But I like to share recipes I know work well and that really enjoy.

      Delete
  3. I always thought of Quinoa as a savoury grain. . and Im not too much of a fan . . but Im really looking forward to trying something like this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are not a fan of the texture of quinoa, it helps adding some crunchy and creamy components, like in this porridge. Otherwise, its neutral flavor makes it versatile in savory or sweet dishes, which I love. Let me know what you think if you decide to try it. Thanks for stopping by, Hanna!

      Delete
  4. This sounds great - I love anything hazelnutty! I've only ever tried quinoa once which was about three years ago and I wasnt a fan and havent tried it again, I think its about time I did! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dearna! I hope you like it better this time around. I really do feel like the way it is prepared and the other ingredients included help with the enjoyment factor. I like the texture of white quinoa better, myself. The seeds are softer to me. What regardless, you'll want to rinse/drain the quinoa well before cooking. Good luck!

      Delete
  5. lovely looking bowl of glowing health and tastes. Mind you I am allergic to hazels but sunflower seed butter and almond or hemp milk would be just the trick. Yum! Cheers for a lovely brekkie ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kellie! Thank you, you're right it is glowing in health AND taste. It's really a breakfast to look forward to. And knowing your leaning towards the savory, the nut butter really helps to keep it from being too sweet. Sunflower seed butter would be great on it - I just made yours this weekend and it's wonderful!

      Delete
  6. This looks like the perfect way to start a day - anything with hazelnuts and I'm own over! I've never tried hazelnut milk before, looking forward to giving it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it Sarah, thanks for your comment! Hazelnut is my new favorite nut milk. It's much richer tasting than I could ever get home-made almond milk to be. Let me know how you like it all if you get to try it.

      Delete
  7. I love the idea of quinoa porridge for breakfast and the fresh fruit with hazelnuts is perfect. Hazelnuts are just so delicious and much more unexpected the the usual roundup of nuts. Beautiful and so inviting for spring breakfast...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark! I agree, hazelnuts are a very nice change-up from the normal rotation of nuts.

      Delete
  8. This looks seriously yummy! I am always looking for new breakfast recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teri! Thank you - when I feel in a breakfast rut, this really is a yummy and welcome change to get me out of it.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Cooksnaps