07 April 2013

Green Lemonade



During my trip to the US I visited the juice bar at Whole Foods several times. The bar offers a set menu of mixed fruit and vegetable juices, but they also allow you to build your own, all juiced-to-order. I built my own a few times. It felt like a science project; I asked for a combination of probably too many fruits and vegetables at once and eagerly awaited the result. It was fun, and the juice was acceptable if not a little muddled in flavor!



But then I tried a juice called Green Lemonade from the set menu, and decided that was the way to go. Those juice mixologists know what they're doing, and the lesson I was reminded of was the simpler the better. It was made of apple, lemon, kale, and spinach. I loved it so much that I wanted to make a version at home and share the results with you. The addition of cucumber gives a crisp, refreshing boost to the juice and the parsley adds a subtle playfulness to the background. Sadly, kale isn't available here most of the year, so I only use spinach.



Hopefully this lightened-up breakfast drink will encourage spring to make a showing here very soon!

Juicing
If you do not have a juicer you could use a blender to make a smoothie instead. But you will need to adjust the proportions and add 1/4- 1/2 cup of water when blending. I would suggest cutting back on the amount of apple and spinach. Start off with only 1 apple, cut in chunks, and 1 - 1 1/2 handfuls of spinach. Blend the apple with some of the water first, then add the remaining ingredients and adjust from there.


Green Lemonade
Makes 1 large glass or 2 small glasses (1 1/2 cups/12 oz)

2 medium, firm apples (8 oz. of juice)
3 big handfuls spinach + small handful/half bunch parsley (4 oz of juice)
2 inch piece English cucumber (3.5 oz of juice)
Juice of 1/2 lemon

Juice apples, spinach, parsley, and cucumber. Add lemon juice to the other juices, stir to combine, and serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. I don't have a juicer, so I'm going to try the shake version. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs. Sanchez! Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you're going to make this, and I'll look forward to hearing out it turns out for you. If you like your smoothie extra creamy and cold, you could add in some yogurt and ice cubes. And adjust the sweetness with honey or agave, if the apple is not sweet enough. Happy Blending!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Cooksnaps